WINDSOR WINTER PARKING AND ROADWAY RULES
The following is a list of “rules of the road” so to speak that govern how we use and maintain our municipal roadways and parking areas during the winter months.
WINTER PARKING BAN BEGINS DEC. 1ST
It is unlawful to park on any street between the hours of 12 a.m. and 5 a.m. between December 1st and April 30th, both dates inclusive.
PLOWING SNOW INTO THE ROAD – STATE STATUE
§ 1126a Depositing snow onto or across roadways is prohibited
No person, other than an employee in the performance of his or her official duties or other person authorized by the agency of transportation (in the case of state highways) or Selectboard (in the case of town) highway shall plow or otherwise deposit snow onto the traveled way, shoulder or sidewalk of a state highway or a class 1, 2 or 3 town highway.
PRIORITIES & PRACTICES
- Generally Town plows (4 routes) and operate from 5am to 11:30pm
- Paved roads are cleared first – plows then move to the dirt roads
- Sand and salt mix is applied to pavement during plowing
- Dirt roads are plowed but sand is not applied until the storm ends
- Salt is not applied to dirt as it is ineffective and can actually create or add to the icy conditions
- Because two different mixes are used for tar and dirt the trucks have to switch over which takes some time. The fleet is not big enough to have trucks dedicated to dirt or tar only.
- With freezing rain dirt roads are sanded more frequently than tar. This is because salt can be used on the tar but not on the sand.
- Sidewalks are cleaned following a storm, not during a storm. We do not blow snow from the sidewalk into the street. Every effort is made to avoid inconvenience to private property, but the road right-of-ways are used to their full capacity.
- Snow removal from in-town locations and intersections is dependent on the weather but generally removal will be scheduled within 2 days of the end of a storm.
- Violations of snow removal policy will be handled through the police dept. as they are statutory or ordinance violations.
- Comments / requests regarding snow removal should be directed to my office 674-6786 or firstname.lastname@example.org The highway dept. is directed to follow town road policy.